Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sketches

We had to choose a few sketches from our design visualization sketchbook to post on our blog.  I wanted to choose three different sketches from various assignments.  This sketch is representative of our task to draw light shining through water.  I have many sketches of of various cups and bottles filled with water that I drew at different times of the day to show how different the light is at different times. This particular sketch was done later in the evening in my apartment.  I chose to post it because it not only shows details of the light, but also of the bottle itself.  The use of shadows and various graphite softness was important in order to portray what I wanted. 

The next sketch I chose to include is a self portrait, which is the most recent assignment we have been given.  I took an drawing class for my previous degree at College of Charleston, and we had a section on drawing portraits, so, although it was a about five years ago, that previous knowledge definitely helped me in this assignment.  I drew this particular sketch from a picture I took on my computer, and it took me a little over an hour to complete, but I still find myself touching it up and changing parts of it to more resemble me.  Portraits are definitely one of the more challenging aspects of drawing, but you learn alot about the details of the human face.  The technique of shading is very important in order to accurately portrat things as the nose and to draw hair.  Portraits are something I enjoy and I want to continue to get better.

The final sketch that I chose was from our twig drawing assignment.  We spent numerous weeks drawing twig after twig, so I wanted to choose one of my more successful twig drawings.  This particular sketch was actually done in class during one of our in-class assignments.  Although I think this does an excellent job of showing the details of the twig as a whole, I wish I had done a larger more detailed image of it. 

This sketch is by Hailey Taylor
I chose this particular sketch by Hailey because I thought she did an excellent job of showing the various shapes of the leaves on the twigs.  Each leave has it's own character and movement, and Hailey did a nice job portraying that.

This sketch is by Cory Odell
I chose this self portrait sketch by Cory because it has a completely different character to it.  It is very playful and has a caricature aspect to it.  It shows that self-portraits can vary from being realistic to more cartoonesque varying on the artist, and from knowing Cory this is a very appropriate image of him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment